4-H Avian Bowl Competition
July 14, 2021 – format is to be determined – virtual, in-person, or hybrid approach
What is Avian Bowl?
Avian Bowl is a team quiz event that tests participants’ knowledge of a wide range of avian topics (think chicken quiz bowl!)
Avian Bowl is meant to make learning fun and stimulate youth interest in poultry.
Virtual Avian Bowl
If 4-H Avian Bowl is offered virtually again in 2021, more information will be made available about the virtual platform that will be used.
Check out this Quick Start Guide for QuizBowl PRO.
In Person – located at Poultry Teaching Unit, 3841 Inwood Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603
3841 Inwood Road, Raleigh 27603 (off of Lake Wheeler Road – across from The Point Church)
Avian Bowl will be held July 14, 2021. Due to Covid-19 related concerns for maintaining social distance, the platform for delivering 4-H Avian Bowl 2021 is undecided at this time (April, 2021).
Submit 20 Questions by July 2, 2021
Each 4-H Avian Bowl team is asked to submit 20 questions (based on the 2021 study packet) to Mary Fosnaught by July 2, 2021 along with their registration.
It can be good review for your team to make up the questions. If your team hand writes the questions, please feel free to scan them in or take a picture and email in this format.
Each question should include the following 4 pieces of information:
- Category: Raising waterfowl, Avian systems, Growing Blue Ribbon Pullets, Breeds, Varieties, and Strains (Introduction, Bantams, Americans and Asiatics), Eggcyclopedia (Curdling through It’s All in an Egg), Ratites (All), Commercial Poultry Industry (All), and Embryology (Parts of the Egg) through Candling
- Question Type: Multiple Choice, True/False, or Spelling
- Correct Answer
- County & Team that submitted
Registration for the 2021 State-level 4-H Avian Bowl Contest will open June 15, 2021. Registration will close July 2, 2021.
National 4-H Avian Bowl Manual
2021 study packet
All questions and answers will come from the following material in the 2016 version of the Avian Bowl Manual (this is the same material as was suggested for 2020 contest):
- Raising waterfowl (Sources through General Breeding Management) – pages 26-30
- Avian systems (The Feather) – page 43
- Growing Blue Ribbon Pullets (All) – pages 57-65
- Breeds, Varieties, and Strains (Introduction, Bantams, Americans, and Asiatics) – pages 69-73
- Eggcyclopedia (Curdling through It’s All in an Egg) – pages 118-136
- Ratites (All) – Pages 171-173
- Commercial Poultry Industry (All) – Pages 175-176
- Embryology (Parts of the Egg through Candling) – Pages 186-192
For additional information contact
Dr. Mary Fosnaught
4-H & Youth Development Extension Associate
NC State Extension
Prestage Department of Poultry Science
Raleigh, NC 27695-7608