4-H Avian Bowl Competition
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
What is Avian Bowl?
Avian Bowl is a team quiz event that tests participants’ knowledge of a wide range of avian topics (think chicken quiz bowl!)
Avian Bowl is meant to make learning fun and stimulate youth interest in poultry.
4-H Avian Bowl
At this time, 4-H Avian Bowl is planned as an in-person event. If 4-H Avian Bowl is offered virtually again in 2022, more information will be made available about the virtual platform that will be used. Check out this Quick Start Guide for QuizBowl PRO.
Avian Bowl will be held on July 11, 2022 at 11:00 a.m. in Raleigh, NC. Location on campus is to be determined. Please submit questions and complete registration by June 22, 2022.
A location for 2022 4-H Avian Bowl is to be determined. In the past, it has been held at the Poultry Teaching Unit, 3841 Inwood Road, Raleigh 27603 (off of Lake Wheeler Road – across from The Point Church)
Submit Questions by June 22, 2022
Each 4-H Avian Bowl team is asked to submit 20 questions (based on the 2022 study packet) to Mary Fosnaught by June 22, 2022 along with their registration.
It can be good review for your team to make up the questions. https://poultry4hyouth.ces.ncsu.edu/poultry-and-4-h-competition. Please submit high quality questions for your registration as they will likely be used in the contest. Please use the Google Form and include section and page number along with the correct answer.
Each question should include the following 4 pieces of information:
- Category: Raising waterfowl, Avian systems, Growing Blue Ribbon Pullets, Breeds, Varieties, and Strains (Introduction, Bantams, Americans and Asiatics), Eggcyclopedia (Curdling through It’s All in an Egg), Ratites (All), Commercial Poultry Industry (All), and Embryology (Parts of the Egg) through Candling
- Question Type: Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank/Short Answer, or Spelling
- Correct Answer
- County & Team that submitted
Registration for the 2022 State-level 4-H Avian Bowl will open March 1, 2022. Registration will close June 22, 2022.
National 4-H Avian Bowl Manual
2022 study packet
All questions and answers will come from the following material in the 2016 version of the Avian Bowl Manual:
- Poultry judging – Online National Poultry Judging Manual (Past production hens printable pdf, pages 1-2 only)
- Understanding food prisoners (All) … pages 17-20
- Avian systems (Reproduction only) … pages 35-38
- Breeds, varieties, and strains (Mediterranean through AOSB only) … pages 75-80
- Raising game birds (Disease control through Laws only) … pages 94-99
- Eggcyclopedia (Partnership for food safety through Zeaxanthin only) … pages 139-151B
- Raising your home chicken flock (All) … pages 151C-161
- Biosecurity (All) … pages 179-180
- Avian influenza (All) – Pages 181-182
For additional information contact
Dr. Mary Fosnaught
4-H & Youth Development Extension Associate
NC State Extension
Prestage Department of Poultry Science
Raleigh, NC 27695-7608