4-H Avian Bowl Competition
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
What is Avian Bowl?
Avian Bowl is a team quiz event that tests participants’ knowledge of a wide range of avian topics (think chicken quiz bowl!)
Avian Bowl is meant to make learning fun and stimulate youth interest in poultry. Use this 4-H Avian Bowl Quick Start Guide to get an overview of what is needed to put together a 4-H Avian Bowl team or read below to get more details.
4-H Avian Bowl
At this time, 4-H Avian Bowl is planned as an in-person event. If 4-H Avian Bowl is offered virtually, more information will be made available about the virtual platform that will be used. Check out this Quick Start Guide for QuizBowl PRO.
Avian Bowl will be held on July 18, 2023, at 11:00 a.m. in Raleigh, NC. The location on campus will be the Bio & Ag Engineering Building. Registration will open on June 1, 2023. Please submit questions and complete registration by June 18, 2023, through 4-H Online under events.
The 2023 4-H Avian Bowl will be held at the Bio and Ag Engineering Building at 130 Weaver Laboratories, 3110 Faucette Dr., Raleigh, NC 27607.
Submit Questions by June 19, 2023
The form to add questions is accessible through 4-H Online at the time of registration.
It can be a good review for your team to make up the questions. Please submit high-quality questions for your registration as they will likely be used in the contest. Please use the Google Form and include the section and page number along with the correct answer.
Each question should include the following 4 pieces of information:
- Category: Poultry judging – Online National Poultry Judging Manual, Understanding food prisonersAvian systems, Breeds, varieties, and strains (Mediterranean through AOSB only), Raising game birds (Disease control through Laws only), Eggcyclopedia (Partnership for food safety through Zeaxanthin only), Raising your home chicken flock (All), Biosecurity (All), Avian influenza (All)
- Question Type: Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank/Short Answer, or Spelling
- Correct Answer
- County & Team that submitted
Registration for the State-level 4-H Avian Bowl is open June 1, 2023, through 4-H Online listed under events. Registration will close on June 19, 2023.
National 4-H Avian Bowl Manual
2023 study packet
All questions and answers will come from the following material in the 2016 version of the Avian Bowl Manual:
- Prologue … pdf available online
- Avian systems (Circulatory, nervous, excretory, muscle, skeletal only) … pages 39-40
- Breeds, varieties, and strains (through New Hampshires, Characteristics) … pages 67-71
- Eggcyclopedia … pages 102-124
- Small turkey flock (All)… pages 45-54
- A revised version of ‘Changing World of Poultry and Eggs Market‘ (newest version posted April 5, 2023) … pdf available online
- Embryology (Daily development through entire glossary) … pages 191-195
- New section: Non-food uses of eggs
For additional information contact
Dr. Mary Fosnaught
4-H & Youth Development Extension Associate
NC State Extension
Prestage Department of Poultry Science
Raleigh, NC 27695-7608
Phone: +1 919.515.5529